Nurtury Learning Lab, located at 33 Bickford Street in the Mildred C. Hailey Apartments, incorporates the most creative thinking and evidence-based practices, with the long-term objective of becoming a replicable, national model for delivering early education and comprehensive family services in an urban area.
History: Founded in 1886, the program is one of the five oldest early childhood education programs in the United States, the second oldest in Massachusetts (the first is another one of our centers, located in Roxbury), and the first early care and education center to be located in a Public Housing Development. This program joined the Nurtury family in 1956 and moved to the brand new Learning Lab location in June 2014, when Mayor Walsh joined us for a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
from downtown Boston
• Columbus Avenue heading south
• Turn left on Heath Street
• Go around circle rotary and go straight ahead
• Turn left at the next street, which is Bickford Street
• The Lab is on the right.
• There is parking on Bickford Street and on Horan Way along the side of the building
• Do NOT park in areas designated for Bromley-Heath residents
via Orange Line
• Take the Orange Line to the Jackson Square stop
• As you exit the station, take a right on Centre Street
• Turn right on Bickford Street towards Martha Eliot Health Center
• Continue straight on Bickford Street walkway
• The Lab is on the left
Open 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
33 Bickford Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Byron Gardner, Lead Program Director
Priscilla Aponte, Director of Administration